Merchants is to be found in the very heart of Edinburgh's historic Old Town, close to Greyfriars Church and the Grassmarket. The restaurant nestles in a cosy nook off Candlemaker Row on Merchant Street, from where it takes its name.
The Merchant Coy of Edinburgh once had a Hall here that was originally the mansion of "Tam o' the Cowgate" but it was demolished around 1829 when construction began on George IV bridge.
Greyfriars Kirk is just off Candlemaker Row near the south end of George IV bridge. It is one of the most important churches in Scotland.
The original Franciscan friary is long gone. Today's church dates from 1620 and was the first new church built in Edinburgh following the upheavals of the Reformation. The National Covenant, a written declaration of the Presbyterian cause, was signed here in 1638.
Read more about Edinburgh >