Greyfriars Bobby is remembered in this statue opposite Greyfriars Kirk at the top of Candlemaker Row. In 1858 this faithful little Skye terrier refused to leave his master's graveside and for the next 14 years, until his own death, was never far from the churchyard.
The touching story of the dog's loyalty has spread throughout the world and this memorial provides an ever-popular tourist photo opportunity. Bobby now lies within Greyfriars himself.
George IV Bridge
George IV Bridge is the location of two of the most important libraries in Scotland. The Central Public Library, founded just over 100 years ago through the generosity of the industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, has an extensive collection of books including special sections on music and the fine arts.
The Royal Scotland Museum
The Royal Museum of Scotland is another important building in nearby Chambers Street. The museum houses the national collections of decorative arts from around the world, geology, archaeology, natural history, technology and science. The building, which was designed by Captain Francis Fowke of the Royal Engineers, is one of the finest examples of Victorian architecture in Edinburgh.
The National Library of Scotland
The National Library of Scotland lies directly across the street and was founded in 1682. With some 4,500,000 books and a large collection of manuscripts, it is one of the largest libraries in Britain.
The Grassmarket has been an important focal point of the Old Town since the 15th Century. The weekly livestock market was held here from 1477 until 1911. It was also the site of regular public hangings, and it was here that Burke and Hare, the notorious grave robbers, plied their gruesome trade and searched for suitable victims in and around the area's many public houses.